NORTHEAST MISSOURI SHOW ME SELECT REPLACEMENT HEIFER PROGRAM
The Show Me Select Replacement Heifer Program is focused entirely on Missouri’s farmers and is dependent upon active participation from regional extension livestock specialists and local veterinarians, each of which are critical components of the agricultural sector of this state.
The anticipated outcomes of this program include:
- Increased adoption rate by farmers in Missouri of management practices that offer potential to improve long-term reproductive efficiency of their herds and resulting profitability
- Expanded working relationships among farmers, regional livestock specialists and veterinarians that will enhance information exchange and improve management of cow herds across Missouri
- Improved heifer development programs through a Total Quality Management approach
- Increased marketing opportunities for and added value for Missouri-raised heifers
- Creation of reliable sources of quality replacement heifers in terms of genetics and management
This program is unique in that it is first and foremost, an educational program targeted at improving production efficiency through increased use of existing technology, coupled with the marketing component.
With more than 2 million beef cows in production in Missouri and roughly 1 million heifers produced annually, there is significant potential to add value to a large, untapped segment of the beef herd in this state. Development of a fundamental understanding of basic principles regarding animal breeding, genetics, reproductive physiology, nutrition, animal health, and economics are essential in making informed management decisions that sustain long-term economic viability on a farm-to-farm basis. These considerations provide the foundation upon which the Show Me Select Heifer Replacement Program is based.
For more information, go to Missouri Show Me Select.
More information about the Show Me Select program:
For more information about the Show Me Select program, contact the following MU Extension specialist:
Zac Erwin, Livestock Specialist
Adair County Extension Office
503 East Northtown Road
Kirksville, MO 63501
Daniel Mallory, Livestock Specialist
Ralls County Extension Office
P.O. Box 540
New London, MO 63459
Brenda Arnold, Livestock Educator
Lewis County Extension Office
P.O. Box 68
Monticello, MO 63457